Pages

Monday, January 03, 2011

It's a new year, so it's time for a new...WORD?

I'm not a New Year's resolution kinda guy.

Never have been.

It's always seemed to me that most people set themselves up for failure when the make resolutions. They choose lofty goals and then when they find out that change is hard all they can see is how far away from the end game they are and don't focus on the little victories right in front of them.

And then they give up.

And they do it again the next year.

I went to a small get-together on New Year's Eve and there was a discussion about making more goal-based resolutions. Instead of saying "I want to lose weight." say "I'm going to run a half-marathon in April." It kinda makes sense. You'll probably lose weight if you're training to run a half-marathon, but the cynic in me says what do you do when you find out you hate to run?

I started thinking that it would be better to just pick a theme, a word maybe, that could define the new year for me. Genius, I thought. I even had the word picked out. Then, my friend Katie posted on New Year's Day her One Word 2011... post.

Wow...she beat me to it.

or

Great minds think alike! Heh.

It turns out that Katie was inspired by this post from Alece and after reading it and a few other things on Alece's blog...yeah, so am I. Inspired. Completely. Once again, God comes up with a way to show me how blessed I am when I'm wallowing around in my junk.

So, that said, what's my word? Just like Katie, I'm going with SURRENDER.

It's the word that everything else follows. If I surrender to Jesus, nothing else can get in the way. If I do it His way, there can be no question in the choices I make or the actions I take.

But there are questions...mostly in me. And that tells me that I haven't truly surrendered. I haven't let go. I'm still doing a lot of things my way.

That's the truth about me.

What about you? Will you take the "One Word" challenge for 2011? What's your word?

No comments:

Post a Comment