Pages

Monday, August 08, 2011

Visual Silence...ISN'T

I spent the week before last at the Echo Conference in Dallas, TX and had the opportunity to hang out with some of the Visual Worship tribe. There's a term that gets used frequently in this community that's bothered me ever since the first time I heard it.

It's VISUAL SILENCE.

Visual Silence is described as a time during our worship services where we take a "visual break" by scaling back the lighting and visual media that we use.
A dark room.
Black screens.
A moment of "silence" visually.

The problem I have with this term is that I don't think there is such a thing as being "silent" visually.

At first when I started processing my struggle with the term, I told myself I was only approaching it from a semantics angle. But the more I thought about it (and prayed about it), I realized that I wasn't. I think that sometimes a dark room or a black screen says as much or more than any colored light or motion background we could use.

In other words, it speaks.

It's NOT silent.

An audio guy once said to me that there is nothing more important than audio because "you can still hear in a pitch black room." It's true. You can.

But, if you're anything like me, sounds conjure up visual images in your mind. Your imagination is NEVER silent. Even while you sleep.

A few weeks ago, I was in Arkansas and I visited the Mystic Caverns. It's a pair of beautiful caves in the northwest of the state. There were a couple of times during the tour when the guide asked "Do you want to see what 'cave dark' looks like?" and she turned off all the lights. It was so dark! Like no darkness I've ever experienced before. I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face.

But in that darkness, I could hear, smell and feel the environment around me and all of those other senses immediately made images of the cave (or what might be lurking inside it) pop into my head. Definitely not visually silent. And the images in my head may or may not have been accurate.
But they were mine.
And they were there.
In that darkness.

I believe that even if we put the congregation in total darkness, we aren't being silent visually. We may be speaking VOLUMES. And while we may have an contextual reason behind stripping the color, blacking out the screens and bringing down the house lights, we have no idea what images our content may stir in the imaginations of the people we serve. Our worship tells a story and we have to be careful how we tell that story.

We also have to be careful of what I call the "Ta Da!" factor. When we take these visual breaks, it has to happen in an almost imperceptible manner. The last thing we want is for people to say "Oh, did you see what they did there? Black room...I get it."
It should be experienced, but not noticed.

Now don't get me wrong. I think there are very good reasons to use less color, less motion and less light. But,  it has to be done subtly and intentionally in context of the story we're telling. We can't just throw the switch because it's cool and we can't make drastic changes from our normal practices and slam the congregation in the face.

I get really nervous when I hear churches say they are going to shut everything down for a season, but they don't really have a reason for doing it other than to change things up. That's okay on a given week if it fits (we've had week's at The Crossing where we've used very little technology and gone completely acoustic and raw for a service, but again...it's very intentional and fits with that particular weeks message), but it's not okay to do it just for the sake of doing it.

So, what am I saying in all of this?

I'm saying that the concept of VISUAL SILENCE is a good one when used with purpose and in context.
I'm saying that it can be very powerful in the telling of the story of the gospel.
I'm saying that we have to be careful how we employ it in our services.

But, mainly I'm saying that it needs to be called something different because it's NOT silent.

It speaks.
LOUDLY.

What should we call it?

There's a two word phrase that shows up in scripture several times.

BE STILL.

My take is that we are being visually still when we take these breaks.
Strip the color.
Blackout the screens.
Turn down the house lights.

Be still...

VISUAL STILLNESS.





Much thanks to Eric McClerren (@ericmcclerren)
for discussing this topic with me
and leading me to listen to the stillness.
You can check him out at storybooktheology.com.


13 comments:

  1. I agree with you. The objective behind anything we do needs to in support of the overall portrait we are trying to paint for the service. It isn't silence but it is being still. It's allowing the congregation to focus on God on an individual and emotional basis by giving them "air" to breathe.There are times when we need to shout to dramatize a mood or point and other times when being still speaks volumes. It's all in focusing on what needs to be conveyed and not doing something just for the sake of doing something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never liked the term visual silence, and thought it was just 'trendy'. Thanks for your thoughts, it definitely put into words what I couldn't seem to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:33 PM

    Speaking as one in the congregation, I think you are right on. We don't need gimics and tricks. Often when I am worshipping, I will close my eyes, stop singing, and just listen, or dwell on what the Lord is telling me through the words of a song, or just dwell on Him. I wish more leaders would give us spaces and places to do that. To just be still....

    ReplyDelete
  4. (PART 1)
    I agree. The last thing "visual silence" or "visual worship" or any of that is supposed to be a gimmick or "trendy"... if you think so, you've missed the point entirely. it is the absolutely antithesis of being a trend. In fact, these concepts and spiritual practices are extremely ancient... breathed into existence by the Holy Spirit so that His people can commune with the Living God in a way not possible with the noise of this life bombarding us, even our religious noise, the noise of our programs, songs, conferences & productions. These are old practices that we as the "next generation" are desperately trying to reframe & contextualize in a Biblical, Jesus-centered way.
    But unfortunately, anything new the Church tries to do & that people talk a lot about will be labeled as a trend, at least until we are convinced that it's an idea from the Holy Spirit and not a new cool way to entertain ourselves (which happens way too often).

    ReplyDelete
  5. (PART 2)

    Michael-

    These are amazing thoughts & insights! As one of the guys who have raised the "visual silence" banner, I agree with what you are saying here. As i say when teaching on V.S., "a black screen is sometimes the most powerful visual you can project." It DOES speak VOLUMES (when done properly, intentionally), and therefore, i see your take on this not being "silent."

    I couldn't agree more about the intentionality. We can't do something new just for the sake of doing it. Now there IS a balance of experimenting and trying...sometimes I discover powerful moments by stumbling onto it, falling into it b/c I wasn't being intentional but simply exploring. I have no idea what the outcome will be, but i still go for it. And sometimes, it's simply discovered by making a mistake. The most beautiful moments in worship have been birthed out of my mistakes and images/videos/techniques that weren't at all intentional to begin with. But i guess you could say that I'm intentional about making room and space for those moments to be birthed. I'm purposeful, but i hold it all loosely and with an open-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (PART 3)
    The definition of SILENCE is this:
    - absence of sound or noise; STILLNESS.
    - state of being silent or mute.
    - absence of expression.

    I would define VISUAL SILENCE as the same:
    - absence of image or visual noise; STILLNESS.
    - state of muteness....think about muting the screens, lights, visual stimuli.
    - absence of visual expression.

    So is there ever such thing as SILENCE? If I decide to listen and not speak, does that action still SAY SOMETHING? If I decide not to express anything visually, doesn't that action still say something? Therefore, according to this post, I could never be SILENT! Silence doesn't exist. Period. And we should strike that word (along with Visual Silence) from our vocabulary. Right?

    Maybe you struggle with the word SILENCE itself, and the phrase "visual silence" is just provoking it. ???
    Perhaps things that are EXTERNAL (what we see, hear, etc) can be SILENT. But it is the INTERNAL (our imagination, thoughts, etc) that are rarely silent..and when the external is silent, then our internal is noisier than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. (PART 4)

    But allow me to defend that word/phrase:
    Maybe for me as the visual worship leader, there's a point where I decide to stop "talking" (putting images on a screen, blasting colored lights, etc etc) ...it is I that needs to be silent.... so that it DOES give a space for the congregation to BREATHE and to start using their imaginations...to give THEM the blank canvas and let them start to paint on it, in their own ways. That's what stillness does for us! And you are right, it is nothing BUT silent!

    I like what Carlos Whitaker tweeted after he attended one of our quiet worship times at Journey: "Silence will deafen your church."

    I think the point of silence is so that a different & necessary message can be spoken. I don't think the point of silence is so that there's no message resulting. I don't think that's even possible? maybe? perhaps. I don't know.

    That's what being still is all about. And for us visual worship leaders, we need to shut our "mouths" and be silent/still so that God can say more than we ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  8. (FINALE)

    You nailed it on the head. Intentionality is KEY. And this is something that plaguing the Church and always will. Trying new things just because it's the new thing to do.
    I am freeing myself of being worried and concerned over other churches and what they do. I can only speak the truth, serve the Church, and love well. If others decide to take the flame we (the vw tribe) give to them and they burn a forest down and burn a bunch of people in the process, then that is on THEM, not me. I see this old yet newly framed idea of "visual worship" as a flame. I want to ignite the Church and stir up that fire! And I want to teach others to protect that flame and to fan it properly. But if a church takes it and does damage with it (and they will...oh they will) then I have to free myself of that burden, as it's not mine to carry. And I cannot stop igniting others. Does this make any sense?

    Amazing post, Michael. You took this whole concept to another, deeper level!

    trying desperately to serve His Church,
    stephen

    (p.s. sorry for the book... you obviously hit a nerve. i guess the visual worship roundtable was worth doing again this year, huh? i have more questions than answers and so these discussions are so vital for our growth!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said my friend! Stillness..much better word choice.

    It's the flip side of the coin..which is still "something."

    I think it's only trendy when a church community does it because it's "counter-their-own-culture" and they want to appear edgy and rebellious. Anything though can be that though...
    Always comes back to context and WHY...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the concept of negative space is an interesting one to add to this conversation.

    From Wikipedia - "Negative space may be most evident when the space around a subject, and not the subject itself, forms an interesting or artistically relevant shape, and such space is occasionally used to artistic effect as the "real" subject of an image."

    By leaving space (of all kinds) in our worship, we are drawn to see around the edges. Cameron, this is an offshoot of what we talked about after the Worship Roundtable, the idea of using visuals which are recognizable, but not concrete (using a Jesus silhouette rather than photograph.)

    Great to hear everyone touching on intentionality and context...know the why behind the why.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, yep, yep!!!

    And I agree with anonymous. Good points!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephen, thanks for your comment on this. Coming from your explanation, I do understand and respect that use/reasoning behind it.
    It's the people I see that talk about how they went silent and make it sound like it's the thing to do if you're going to be a good visual worship leader that make me dislike it.

    For both sides, keep learning and growing for yourself, do what God calls you in your leading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I was as smart as you.... and Eric

    ReplyDelete