Pages

Thursday, September 02, 2010

On Death and Thankfulness...

So, my mother-in-law passed away last weekend. Now before you go getting your sympathy caps on, that's not why I'm writing this post. I'm writing because as I reflect on my relationship (if I can be so bold as to call it that) with her, I'm realizing something I didn't expect.

My mother-in-law had a hard life and she made life hard for a lot of people that she had contact with...my wife and her siblings especially. I've heard all of the stories of her alcohol and drug abuse during their childhood and teenage years. It's a tragic story of selfishness and neglect fueled by mental illness.

I never really LIKED her much because of it.

I know I didn't LOVE her.

But I realize now that I am extremely THANKFUL for her.

If it wasn't for her life here on this earth, I wouldn't be where I am today. I wouldn't be married to the girl of my dreams. I wouldn't have the most amazing 5 1/2 year old daughter. I wouldn't live in St. Louis. I wouldn't be on staff at the most incredible church I've ever had the privilege of setting foot in.

I may not even have JESUS in my life.

We all have a story. People come in and out of our stories and each one of them has an impact on that story.

And we impact theirs.

Sometimes people that we think are having a negative impact on our story are actually making our story better. And sometimes when we think we are having a positive impact on someone's story, we might actually be doing harm.

Ultimately, it's all God's story.

So, thank you, God, for writing Your story to include Francis Joan Miller. Thank you for letting her story intersect with mine. The impact that has had has shaped who I am today.

1 comment:

  1. And that impact has, in turn, impacted my life. We're all ripples in each other's lives. Protagonists and antagonists at the same time. God is such a good Storyteller!
    I'm glad you are in my/our story.

    ReplyDelete